May In Review
May, where did you go?! I’m overdue for a blog update, and I have some exciting news to share! Come join me as I rehash May in my usual two-days-late, aesthetically-authentic fashion.
may in a few words
- I enjoyed glorious weather!
- I ended my second track season.
- I experienced the pressure of a rapidly filling schedule.
- I had 3 photo sessions!
- I did my first newborn session!
- I’m writing fiction again.
- TAN LINES (from my watch + socks because…I run…in the sun.)
- I got my hair highlighted.
- I ran a 23:36 5k, completing one of my goals for 2017!!
- I went to my first vendor fair, as an actual VENDOR.
- I started & finished Driver’s Ed.
- I received a comment from Canon USA on my Instagram, which doesn’t seem like it should be a big deal, but it was to me!
- I bought Tombow brush pens. Need I say more??
Overall, if I could define May 2017 in just one word, that word would be BUSY!
During the month of May, I have kind of stepped back from my blog and photography to think + pray. Let’s be honest: I’m not even seventeen yet, but still I put this pressure on myself to be this idealistic photographer-runner-sister-blogger-designer-scholar-writer-coworker-generally-nice-person with everything held together perfectly. For whatever reason, my mind hasn’t figured out that I’m not that girl. And I never will be.
And that’s okay.
So, with that said, I’ve decided that for the remainder of my high school years, I’m going to strive to be the best I can be at my passions. But, I am not going to put my passions – even if they are good ones – take priority over God’s purpose for me.
some of the big changes
- I’ve had ANOTHER name change. I’m honestly sorry, guys. It’s just so hard to plan ahead and think, what name will I want my business to be defined by when I finish high school? Turns out, the honest answer to that question is ME. Not Freehand Studio, just Aliyah Grace Burton. She tinkers in photography, dabbles in graphic design. Maybe it’ll become a semi-big business, maybe not. But until then, I’m sticking with my name for all my branding, because it’s simple and easy and overall better for my projects as a whole.
- I am now officially booking photography clients! It’s so CRAZY to think that literally ONE STINKIN YEAR AGO right now, I was doing my first senior session, complete with sweaty palms and absolutely no idea what I was doing. Thank goodness for a beautiful and gracious model who has raw talent in front of any camera! (see that session here!) I can only imagine what I will be saying one year from now, looking back on these small beginnings. I’m hoping that this little hobby of mine will grow and bless people!
Well, that’s all for May, friends! Check back here tomorrow to read my June goals!